Friday, July 11, 2014

Fantail

It's been a busy day today, with an early morning meeting + welcoming morning tea (for the visiting professor teaching the course I'll be tutoring this semester), and an afternoon function for the just retired professor. Following the latter, I went for a short walk around the Ilam Homestead grounds, during which time I came across two of these cheeky little guys...




Yep... Fantails! This is the first time I've actually been close enough to have a chance at getting some shots of them (though I've heard a few chattering away in the trees a few times). Notable for their large fan-shaped tails, it turns out that despite not being the best of fliers (i.e. they can't fly in a straight line for one thing; their oversized tails tend to drag them downwards an into crazy spiral loops), they're still fast enough to cause trouble for photographers trying to get some shots of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment